Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Three Way......


My favorite bad food is a 3 way from Skyline Chili in Cincinnati, unfortunately its full of meat. What's a vegetarian to do? I found this book "Vegetarian Beginner's Guide"and there it was a recipe for Cincinnati Chili.
Yahoo!!!! I just made it and it was yummy! I loved it! I felt like I just ate at Skyline only this time I knew I was making my heart happy!
Here's the recipe, if you've never had Cincinnati chili, give it a try.
Cincinnati Chili
6-8 servings
16 oz can red beans
16 oz can chickpeas
2 med onions, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, mined
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 large stalk celery, chopped
4 cups water
1- 6 oz can tomato paste mixed with 1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste
1/2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (don't let this scare you! this is the secret)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a large soup kettle or stew pot. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
2. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, until thick enough to mound on a spoon, about 1 hour. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Now, to make it a 3-way
Spaghetti
shredded cheddar cheese
Cook spaghetti as directed.
Layer spaghetti on plate, top with chili, top chili with cheese....
When eating a 3-way you don't use a knife, you "cut" the 3-way with the side of your fork.
Now ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment