Sunday, September 27, 2009

A tribute.....


This past week my mom died. She was 3 weeks shy of her 86th birthday. She had a massive stroke. She ate very well, no red meat, just chicken and fish. I learned from her the value of eating 3 square meals a day. In those days I think there where very few vegetarians, but I know my mom must have been a vegetarian at heart. Back then, there was very little money for meat, so their diets where more vegetables than meat. I'm sure she ate more beans which of course are very high in protein. My mom always made us breakfast every morning before we ventured off to school. And by golly, by 5:00 dinner was on the table. That's the way it was. We always ate vegetables and there was always a nice salad with every meal. One of my moms favorite meals (and mine too) was chicken fricassee. I've turned it into a vegetarian dish well sort of, I still make it with the chicken, I just don't eat the chicken (I feed it to my non-vegetarian family). Here's my tribute to my mom....I love you mom....

Chicken Fricassee without the chicken.....(sort of)
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 large onions, chopped
1 can vegetable broth
1 cup water
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup milk (or fat free 1/2 & 1/2)

Cooked rice

1. Saute onions and in butter and olive oil until soft.
2. Add chicken, saute until brown on both sides.
3. Add water and vegetable stock.
4. Add salt and pepper and paprika.
5 Simmer about 20-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
6. Thicken sauce with cornstarch and milk, add to pan, simmer until thickened.
7. Add more paprika if you wish.
8. Serve over cooked rice.

Make a nice side of vegetables, I think green beans work well, and a nice big salad and invite your mom over for dinner. Enjoy and don't forget to hug your mom before she leaves!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Mom always made sure we had a "square" meal. I can remember her cooking while she was watching the Dinah Shore show. Dad walked in from work at five and dinner was on the table. She did this five days a week! Always a salad, the "meat", vegetable, starch and a dessert! I took it for granted at the time, but now at 46 years old I appreciated what she did - AMAZING! She did it so effortlessly. Nice tribute to an AWESOME mom! Thanks sis!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember, cheese pizza on Fridays, Hamburgers on Saturday. She was always there for us, I'm sure she's watching over us now.

    ReplyDelete