Thursday, September 17, 2009

Whats for lunch?

Several years ago (probably at least 20!) I bought one of those little cookbooks you see at the check-out counter, the one I purchased was called "Easy Entertaining" it cost me $2.25. One of the recipes was a layered taco dip. I use to make it every time I had to make a dish for a party, it would always get rave reviews. I was thinking about the dish yesterday and realized what a perfect vegetarian meal it would be. Its loaded with protein and its yummy! I found my little book, ripped pages and all, I've actually adapted it, here's the recipe.....enjoy!
Layered Taco Dip
1 16oz can refried beans (I use fat free)
8 oz carton low-fat sour cream
2/3 cups low-fat mayonnaise
1 package taco seasoning mix
1-2 (4oz) cans chopped green chilies, drained (I use fresh chilies from my garden)
4 medium ripe avocados
2 tablespoons lime juice (you can use lemon)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 oz (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a mixed blend of "taco" cheeses, low-fat)
2 cups sliced green onions
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup cilantro
1 6oz can pitted ripe olives chopped (you can leave off if your like my husband and hate olives)

On a 15x10 inch or larger shallow serving platter, thinly spread refried beans. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning mix: spread over bean dip. Sprinkle with chilies. Peel, pit and mash avocados; combine with lime juice and garlic powder. If your avocado doesn't mash easily, process in food processor. Spread over chilies. Sprinkle with cheese, onion, tomatoes, cilantro and olives (if using). Serve with chips.
Makes 11 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment