Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yummy Lunch

Did I mention I love reading cookbooks? I'm always pursuing new recipes. Now that I'm a vegetarian, I like to see what I can find that maybe wasn't strictly vegetarian and turn it into a vegetarian dish. One of my favorite chefs is Ina Garten, "The Barefoot Contessa". I have one of her books which has fabulous vegetarian recipes or recipes that can very easily turn into vegetarian recipes. The following recipe I found in her book
"Barefoot Contessa at Home", I made it for lunch yesterday and now have left-overs for dinner tonight!
Summer Garden Salad
serves 6
4 pints cherry tomatoes, halved (I used these golden tomatoes I found at the local farmers market)
olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
18 large basil leave, julienned, plus extra for serving (I grow lots of basil in my garden in the summer, its my favorite herb)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound dried angel hair pasta
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Combine the cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, basil leaves, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper in a large bowl. Serve with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for about 4 hours.
Just before your ready to serve, bring a large pot of water with salt to a boil and add the pasta. Cook al dente according to the directions on the package. Drain the pasta well and add to the bowl with the tomatoes. Add the cheese and some extra fresh basil leaves and toss well.
Serve in big bowls with extra cheese on each serving.
It simple and so fresh and yummy!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment