Monday, December 28, 2009

Another Vegetarian Chili Recipe

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Lots of cooking for me, which I enjoy. I ate way too many cookies and candy. Last night for dinner I picked....., cheese sandwich, then a cookie, jello with fruit and marshmallows, then a cookie, peanuts, then a candy peanut cluster, followed by a cupcake! At this rate I'll never lose that 'frigging' 10lbs I want to lose. I decided I better start eating healthy again today! My step-daughter Ashley bought me a couple of really nice cookbooks for Christmas. One of the books is "Joy of Cooking All about Vegetarian Cooking" A really interesting book filled with useful information and great recipes. I decided to give their version of Vegetarian Chili a try.
Vegetarian Chili
Serves 8
Heat in a large saucepan over medium heat:
2 tablespoons olive oil
Add:
1 cup chopped peeled carrots
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
1 cups chopped green bell peppers
1 cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced

Cook, stirring until the onions are golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Add:
1 to 2 fresh green chili peppers, seeded and finely chopped, or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin

Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in:
One 28-oz can plum tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
One 16-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
One 16-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
One 16-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup tomato juice

Salt to taste
Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, adding more tomato juice or water as needed, about 45 minutes. Season and serve with:
Sour cream
Chopped fresh cilantro

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment