Saturday, December 12, 2009

Root Vegetables



Yesterday I told you about my wonderful (yes...I said wonderful) English mother-in-law. I should say that she is a proud American citizen! Another "English" tradition I learned from her was root vegetables. Yes I know they are grown right here in the USA but I never had a root vegetable growing up. In the picture are parsnips, rutabagas and turnips. Parsnips are a good source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Rutabagas are a good source of Vitamin C, folate and fiber. Turnips contain Vitamin C, fiber and large amounts of Vitamin A and lutein which has been shown to help prevent cataracts and cardiovascular disease.
They are easy to fix. I like to cut them into small cubes (peel first of course!)
put on a baking dish, add a little olive oil and season. Mix together, bake in 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Make sure you "stir" in oven from time to time so they turn brown on all sides. You'll love it...
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment