Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Grilled Vegan Pizza

I love pizza...its probably one of the hardest things I've given up as a vegan....cheese that is...I still try pizza at my local pizza shop without cheese of course. But what's a pizza without cheese? Fortunately there's several different "vegan" cheeses out there that are really tasty, usually made from soy or rice. So the other day I decided to make my own pizza. I'm always watching Food Network, I was watching "What Would Brian Botanio Make" (yes the figure skater), and he made this really good looking pizza on a grill. I thought "hmmm, I'm going to try that but make it with my kind of ingredients!" He showed you how to use your grill as a brick oven. Its really quite easy, just lay your grill grate with
bricks, I used about 10 (you can get bricks from any 
hardware store). Lay them out like this........









then place a pizza stone on top of the bricks.Cover, turn grill on high and heat to 500 degrees. Allow the grill to heat for at least 30 minutes so the bricks and stone get nice and hot.
Before you start the grill, prepare your ingredients.For a vegetarian pizza start with lots of fresh veges, I used, mushrooms, asparagus, red onions, red and green peppers, zucchini and yellow squash. I placed them on baking sheets, drizzled with safflower oil and sprinkled with Italian seasonings, place in a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes. You can make this well ahead of time and set aside.
Oh, I forgot....the crust! This was so easy! 
Here's the ingredients
1 1/4 cup of warm water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 3/4 cups of unbleached white flour (or all-purpose flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 4 tablespoons, divided
1/4 cup cornmeal
In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the 1 1/4 cups of warm water, sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes until the yeast begins to bloom. The water should get foamy and bubbly when ready, if it doesn't, you have bad yeast. Add the 3 3/4 cups of flour, salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix in the mixer fitted with a dough hook on medium speed until the dough is smooth, soft and stretchy, about 5-7 minutes. (If you don't have a stand mixer, you can do this in your food processor). 
Remove the bowl from the mixer and cover it with a a damp towel. Put in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down and remove it from the bowl. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and roll into balls. Put on a floured cutting board covered with a towel and let rest about 1 1/2 hours. 
Now the fun begins! 
On flour surface roll half of dough into 12" round. Cover the backside of a sheet pan with about 2 teaspoons of cornmeal. Now place your dough round onto the sheet pan (this is your pizza paddle). Brush about 2 tablespoons olive oil on dough.  Top with sauce (use any marinara recipe you might have),
roasted vegetables, soy cheese, and yes I used soy pepperoni! 
Carefully slide the pizza onto hot pizza stone. (this was the tricky part) Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes until nice and brown and bubbly. 
Carefully remove from grill, slice and 
ENJOY!  

2 comments:

  1. thanks! give it a try --- of course you can use real cheese and pepporoni! better yet...come to canton and I'll make it for you !

    ReplyDelete