Friday, May 28, 2010

Seitan, Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich.....

Remember my lovely garden I started about a month ago? It was all kinds of different lettuce...I am now being rewarded with fresh lettuce every day. The thing about lettuce, the more you pick,  the more it grows! Its great! And its all organic!

I always use to love bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches....then I thought, how could I replicate bacon? Yes, you can buy vegan bacon, but as I've been researching more and more about macrobiotics, I realized that vegan bacon isn't the way to go. Macrobiotics don't believe in any prepackaged foods, natural only. So, I thought about my "Seitan" I had in my freezer...why not try a "seitan, lettuce and tomato sandwich"! That's it....I'll give it a try. I took my square of seitan and cut it into "bacon" strips. I then sauteed it in a skillet with a little canola oil.
I toasted whole grain bread, used some of my yummy fresh lettuce, my "seiten bacon", tomato (I'll have to wait until July for tomatoes from my garden), and Vegan mayonnaise.  A delicious protein rich, low calorie, low fat "bacon", lettuce and tomato sandwich! 
Give it a try....ENJOY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment