Monday, August 23, 2010

Peaches ........YUM!

One of my very favorite fruits are peaches. In the summer I just can't eat enough of them. I decided to try a peach cobbler. I found several recipes and came up with my own vegan version....give it a try.....its easy and oh my, so good!
You may have noticed in my recipe I use turbinado sugar, why? Turbinado sugar is raw sugar that has been steam-cleaned.  Turbinado sugar is vegan unlike refined white sugar which is usually treated with bone char, an animal product.
VERY EASY PEACH COBBLER
Yield: 5 servings
1/4 cup vegan "butter" (I use Earth Balance)
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup turbinado sugar, divided
1/2 cup soy, coconut or rice milk
2 cups fresh peaches sliced
2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
ground cinnamon and nutmeg

Melt "butter" in a small baking dish.
Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt, add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter over butter (DO NO STIR).
Bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar, peach slices and lemon or lime juice to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly; pour over batter (DO NOT STIR). Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
Bake at 375 degree for 40 minutes or until golden brown. 
Serve warm with non-dairy ice cream (I happen to love Tofutti vanilla almond) if you want.....
ENJOY!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment