Saturday, February 27, 2010

Gardein "chick'n"
















Gardein Chick'n not cooked


So, I'm NOT a big fan of soy.....or so I thought, until I realized you have to read labels. I found this product, okay, so I didn't find it, "Opray" did. Its called Gardein (www.gardein.com) they make vegan chicken, beef all kinds of things. I found it at my local health food store. If you live in the Midwest, Kroger's even sells it. I had my first taste of Gardein at the cooking class I took.
My quest was on to find it. The Gardein "Chick'n" fillets are hard to find. If you find them...stock up! They're made from soy protein and grains. I made the following recipe for dinner the other night...it was so delicious. I actually made one batch using the Gardein Chick'n and one using real chicken for my husband (still can't convince him to try eating what I eat....I'll keep trying though!)
This recipe is a variation from Tal Ronnen "the conscious cook" book.
Gardein "chicken" scaloppini with shiitake mushroom sauce
4 Gardein breasts (if you can't find Gardein, use whatever vegan chicken fillets you can)
1/4 unbleached all-purpose flour
Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons safflower oil
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and cut in 1/4" slices (of course you can use whatever mushrooms you want...cremini would be good)
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup faux chicken stock (you can use vegetable stock)
1/2 cup Ear Balance (vegan butter)
1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
Flatten the Gardein breast with your hand to 1/2 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
Add 2 tablespoons oil into nonstick pan. Heat over medium heat, then add the Gardein and cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and set aside and keep warm.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, heat over medium heat, then add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook until reduced by half, 2-3 minutes. Add the stock and cook for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the Earth Balance 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly so that the sauce doesn't separate. Stir in the chives. Return the Gardein to the pan and coat with sauce.
I served this with oven roasted Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes which where made with the Earth Balance butter and Soy Creamer......
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment