Friday, February 26, 2010

Omelet

If you've been reading my blog (THANK YOU!) you know I'm always looking for breakfast idea's. When people ask me what food I miss most, I use to say cheese, actually there's some pretty tasty "cheese" choices out there. So I guess, no not cheese. I think probably it would be eggs. I've long ago given up "fried" eggs, went to "egg beaters" now, I can't even do that! I did make the "bitches"
breakfast burrito with yumming results. Now, I've tried their omelet, (they call it "bitchlette").
I've modified it...it was really good.....give it a try!

"Omelet"
Serves 2
9 - 10 oz firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled (use a fork or your hands)
3 oz vegan any kind of cheese (I used a combo of Cheddar and Jack)

2 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes

2 teaspoons tamari
2 teaspoons Ener-G egg replacer
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon refined coconut oil
Filling of your choice
Examples: green and red peppers, onion, Vegan ham or bacon
I used leftover roasted vegetables I made the other night.

In a large bowl, combine the tofu, cheese, garlic, yeast flakes, tamari, egg replacer, turmeric, salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Add your filling of choice, (not ham or bacon if using) stirring occasionally until tender,
about 3 minutes.
Transfer vegetables to a plate or bowl.
Return the skillet to medium heat and melt the remaining oil. Add the tofu mixture and cook stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Then spread it evenly in the pan and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes.
Arrange the filling mixture and bacon and ham(if using) on top of one side of the omelet. Remove from the heat and gently slide the omelet about halfway onto a serving plate. Carefully turn the pan over to fold the omelet in half on the plate.
This recipe would make a great Mexican Omelet...fill with corn, beans, salsa, cheese....yum...
I think I've solved my breakfast dilemma.....finally!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment