Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Sunday

Yesterday was footballs biggest day of the year...Super Bowl Sunday. We had a party of three, my husband, step-son and myself. I made them grilled wings (which I use to love) and pizza. Now that I'm a confirmed 2 week vegan, I decided to see what I could make that I would have usually eaten before I became vegan. I love chips and dip. Its my favorite "watching big events on TV " kind of treat. Most dips has sour cream, mayonnaise. Most taco dips has cheese...Here's my favorite's turned into now my Vegan Favorites.....
Homemade Potato Chips (not fried!)
3 large russet potatoes
2 tablespoons safflower oil
salt & pepper

Slice potatoes into 1/8 inch slices, if you have a mandolin use it! I just sliced the potatoes as thinly as I could, don't bother to peel the potatoes.
Toss potatoes in oil until well coated. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange potatoes in 1 layer on 2 cookie sheets that where brushed with oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes, WATCH! They cook fast! Bake until chips are crisped and lightly browned. Remove from oven, season with salt and pepper...cool.
Onion Dip

2 tablespoons safflower oil
1 tablespoon non-dairy butter
1 large Vidalia onion
3 green onions

salt and pepper
4 oz nondairy cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup nondairy sour cream
1/2 cup Vegan mayonnaise
Cut onions in half and then slice into 1/8 inch thick half-rounds. Heat the "butter" and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onions, salt and pepper and saute 35 minutes. Add green onions and saute for another 15 minutes or until onions are dark brown. Remove from heat.
Place the "cream cheese", "sour cream" and Vegan mayonnaise in a bowl, using a hand held mixer beat until smooth. Add onions and mix well.

Taco Dip
1 16oz can refried beans
1-2 large avocados
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1-8oz container nondairy sour cream
1/2 cup Vegan mayonnaise
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 cup diced green onion
1/2 cup mild green chiles, drained
1/2 cup sliced black olives
3 tomatoes chopped
2 cups shredded vegan Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Spread a layer of refried beans in the bottom of an 8x8 glass baking dish. Pit and peel the avocado, place in bowl and mash with lime juice, spread on top of the refried beans. Stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise and taco seasoning, spread over the avocado.
Sprinkle with chilies, then the green onions, then the black olives and finally the tomatoes over the sour cream, mayo, taco seasoning mix. Sprinkle cheese on top. Heat for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through and cheese melts a little bit.
This is also good served room temperature.
Enjoy and go Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment