Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dinner-Ahh Spaghetti Sauce

Years ago I lived and worked in Brooklyn, New York. I worked in a department store with a lady named Esther, she was a typical New Yorker (at least in my mind), she told you exactly what she thought, she didn't mince words, I loved her dearly, if she's still around she's probably 90. She gave me a wonderful spaghetti sauce recipe I use to this day, I'd like to share it with you and what's great about it, its Vegetarian!
Tribute to Esther Spaghetti Sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 whole onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 32 oz can whole tomatoes (puree in blender)
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
2 6 oz cans tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until golden.
2. Add pureed tomatoes, tomato sauce tomato paste. Take cans of tomato paste and fill with water (or add 1 can water, 1 can of red wine) and add to mixture.
3. Add all spices.
4. Simmer at least 45 minutes.
VARIATION: You can really vege it up, in step 1. add any vegetable you want, zucchini, mushrooms, green peppers.
Also you can add 1 can of cannelloni beans at the end to add more protein.
Serve over any pasta...yummy and even better the next day!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment