Monday, January 11, 2010

Crustless Spinach Quiche


I had the pleasure this past weekend of a visit from my sister Maria. What to make for breakfast, she's on the "Atkins Diet", so that means meat, and cheese, well the meat part was out for me, I thought hmmm... how about a nice quiche, that diet is all about eggs. So after looking over my many recipes I found this one. It was delicious, in fact Maria liked it so much she asked me for the recipe! We both decided this would make a nice lunch or dinner if you added a salad.
I hope you try it for any meal of the day.
Crustless Spinach Quiche
Serves 4
Cooking Spray
4 oz smoked Gouda cheese, cut into 4 pieces ( I used cheddar)
1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 large eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 15 oz container part-skim ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 to 8 scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon paprika
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven, place a baking sheet on the rack and preheat to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" round or 8" square baking dish with cooking spray.

Pulse the Gouda (or cheddar) in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the spinach, whole eggs and egg whites, ricotta, flour and nutmeg and process until well combined about 30 seconds. Add the scallions and pulse to mix.
Pour the mixture in the prepared dish and sprinkle with the Parmesan and paprika. Place the quiche on the preheated baking sheet and bake until the center is just set, 25 to 30 minutes.
Calories 389
ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy. I am going to try this tonight for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you try it? what did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so easy to make, and after I got over the feeling that I was cooking vomit. It actually was tasty! Of course I had to close my eyes to eat it, but Bob had no problem with eating it since he didn't see it uncooked.

    ReplyDelete