Monday, January 4, 2010

A Very Yummy Low Calorie Dinner



My quest to come up with a dinner I can serve not only myself but my family brought me to this recipe. I made spaghetti sauce which I had left over. I thought "how can I use the sauce without making the usual pasta with it?" I found this recipe from Dr. Dean Ornish Book, "Everyday Cooking" give it a try!
Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
2 cups diced mushrooms
1 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese (I used low fat)
1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade (I didn't have fresh so I used 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 pound dried shell noodles
3 cups Marinara Sauce (or use your leftover spaghetti sauce like I did!)
1/2 cup grated nonfat mozzarella (I used low fat)
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
In a saucepan, combine mushrooms, onion, garlic and 1/4 cup water. Simmer, covered, until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer until liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
Put frozen spinach in a bowl and microwave until hot throughout, about 5 minutes. Do not drain. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in ricotta, egg substitute, basil, salt, nutmeg and the cooked mushrooms, onion and garlic. Stir well.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Cook shells in boiling water until just tender (check package for timing). Drain well.
Stuff shells with mushroom mixture.
Place 1 cup sauce in bottom of baking pan, top with stuffed shells, cover with sauce, sprinkle with cheese, bake uncovered until hot about 30 minutes.
Serve with this delicious Caesar Salad also from Dr. Ornish' book.
Caesar Salad with Homemade Croutons
Serves 4
Homemade Croutons:
1 day-old baguette, in 3/8 inch dice
Caesar Dressing:
1/2 cup nonfat or low fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoon grated Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, mined
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 large head romaine, washed dried and chopped into bite-size pieces.
Make croutons: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put diced bread on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Make Caesar dressing: Put all dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to blend.
T assemble salad, put romaine in a salad bowl. Add 1 cup croutons and half the dressing. Toss well to coat leaves evenly with dressing. Serve immediately.
Enjoy this low calorie dinner for less than 350 calories!
Remember, keep that heart happy!




No comments:

Post a Comment