Monday, January 18, 2010

Waldorf Salad


I found this recipe the other day from the "Food Network" website. It sounded good and healthy so I decided to give it a try. You should too!
Waldorf Salad
1/2 cup walnuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup non-fat yogurt
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (not a fan of parsley so I left it out)
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 lemon, zest finely grated
Freshly ground black pepper
2 large crisp apples (I used Gala)
2 ribs celery sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup golden raisins (I used regular raisins)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 head Boston lettuce(I used romaine)
Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
Spread the nuts on baking sheet and toast in oven for about 8 to 10 minutes (be careful they don't burn!) Cool and break the nuts into small pieces. Set aside.
Whisk the yogurt, mayonnaise, parsley, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl and season generously with pepper.
Halve, core, and cut the apples into 3/4 inch pieces, leaving the skin intact. Add the apples, celery and raisins to the bowl, and sprinkle with the lemon juice, then toss with the dressing. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.
When ready to serve, toss walnuts into the salad. Arrange the lettuce leaves on a large platter, or divide them among 4 salad plates. Place the salad on the lettuce and serve. OR you can just cut up the lettuce and mix it into the salad like I did!
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment