Monday, January 4, 2010

New Start...Breakfast


Another new start. I gained 5 lbs over the holidays. Now instead of losing 10lbs, I have to lose 15!
I'm always looking for breakfast ideas. They say that "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" I agree. I was looking through my old cooking magazines for recipes. I found a great breakfast idea in my "Cooking Light" magazine. I'm amazed by the number of great vegetarian recipes are in this magazine. The recipe I came across is:
Crisp Potato Hash Browns
Yield 8 servings (1 hash brown per serving) Calories:97
4 cups shredded peeled baking potato (about 1 1/4 lbs)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Place potato in a large bowl, and cover with cold water. Let stand 5 minutes. Drain and rinse potato. Pat dry with paper towels. Combine potato, onions, green pepper in bowl. Add cornstarch, salt, pepper and onion powder, toss well to coat.
3. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, coat thoroughly with cooking spray. Place a 3-inch biscuit cutter (I used a 3" round cookie cutter) on prepared baking sheet. Fill with 1/2 cup potato mixture (do not pack). Carefully remove cutter, repeat with remaining mixture. Coat tops of potato patties with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown.
I served with 1 piece rye bread and 1/4 cup scrambled egg beater, a great breakfast for less than 300 calories!
Enjoy! Let's get that heart healthy and waistline thinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment