Monday, March 1, 2010

My first experience.....

I finally had my first experience at an actual Vegan Restaurant. My husband wouldn't go with me (what no chicken or fish?), my friend Tracy and I where going to go for lunch but the weather has been awful, finally my daughter Kyra said she'd go. So for dinner, we went. I was so happy! It was the first time I didn't have to dissect the menu...I'm continually looking at menus at regular restaurants...does this have butter on it or in it? There's a pasta dish, I'm tired of pasta! Baked potato...and every time I get a dish that's suppose to have chicken in it, I ask for no chicken, they still charge me the same price!
I was so happy to support my local economy and try "VegiTerranean"(www.vegiterranean.com) in Akron, Ohio. How lucky I am even to have a Vegan restaurant within 20 miles of my home! Some of the yummy offerings;
Hot Italian Banana Peppers filed with fresh Herb Risotto and Soy Mozzarella, Fresh Basil Lime Sauce
Fresh Tomato Bisque with EVOO and Basil
Squash Pizza - Marsala Butternut Squash Puree with Wild Mushrooms, Cippolini Onions, Baby Arugula topped with Soy Mozzarella
"Gardein" Scallopini in Picatta Gardein Scallopine suateed with Lemon White Wine, Capers and Soy butter Sauce over Braised Greens and Roasted Garlic White Bean Mashed Potatoes.

Kyra and I started our adventure with Grilled Artichokes with Lemon Aioli and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
(YUM)
I had a Pizza! I love pizza and just
about gave up hope of ever having it again. It was their "Philly Steak" Pizza...Gardein Steak with sauteed onions, with soy mozzarella and cheddar cheese...talk about yummy!!!
Kyra tried one of their specials: Grilled Gardein Steak with Braised Greens and Roasted Garlic White Bean Mashed Potatoes (can you say better than any mashed potatoes you've ever had!)
And for dessert...Chocolate Cupcake with raspberry center....WOW!
Talk about one special dinner...it was FANTASTIC!
I had the pleasure of meeting Chef Scot Jones at a cooking class a couple weeks ago at "The Loretta Paganini School of Cookin
g" located inside the Fisher Foods 8100 Cleveland Ave N in North Canton, Ohio. It was very informative, and we got to eat! The class lasted almost 3 hours! We learned how to make those yummy mashed potatoes. I make them now...my husband even likes them! We also learned how to make Pine Nut and Basil Crusted Gardien Scaloppine
Delicious!

If you want to try some of Chef Scot's recipes, you can find them in a really good book
"the conscious cook" by Tal Ronnen (you might have seen him on "Oprah")

I know, I've mentioned this book several times, its got some really good recipes in it. You won't be disappointed!
If your ever in Akron, Ohio, you must try "VegiTerranean" you won't go home disappointed or hungry! I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment