Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vegan Taco Salad


I've been in the mood this week for salads. So, I've been eating salad every day for lunch. I was thinking Mexican....I just love Mexican food. How about if I made a salad with corn, black beans,
"cheese", tomatoes....sounded good. What kind of dressing though? I guess I could of used salsa, but no, that didn't sound right, so I found a recipe from Rachel Ray on the Food Network site
(www.foodtv.com). You can find some really good vegetarian and adaptable recipes on there.
I've also been experimenting with different kinds of salad greens. I grew up on iceberg lettuce (I think we all where), then I branched out into romaine (wow), I've decided to try new variety's such as wild arugula, green leaf, frisee and radicchio. You can even find different mixes now in the store. Give one of these mixes a try. It makes the same old boring salad some how different!
In this recipe I also use Tortilla chips, I really look at the ingredients now, make sure you pick tortilla chips that say "Made with NO genetically engineered ingredients".
Taco Salad
Just to let you know, I didn't measure any of the ingredients in my salad, so "wing" it!
Lettuce of your choice
frozen corn thawed (just run under hot water)
canned black beans (rinsed)
tomatoes
green onions
Shredded Vegan cheese
crunched up tortilla chips
Avocado Dressing (see below)
Place lettuce on a plate and start layering! Put the dressing on salad before adding the "cheese" and tortilla chips.
Dressing:
1 ripe avocado
3 lemons, juiced
1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
handful fresh cilantro leaves (I love cilantro so I added lots!)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Cut the avocado in half lengthwise cutting around the pit. Separate the halves and scoop out the pit with a spoon, then use the spoon to scoop the avocado from its skin. Place the avocado in a food processor bowl and combine with lemon juice, chopped red onion, cilantro salt and water.
Grind until the avocado mixture is smooth., then stream oil into dressing. Adjust seasonings.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment